Blog Archive

Translate

Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Please.....

So yeah, this is going to be a long one folks. Keep in mind, this is my opinion and something I feel the need to share. You don't have to like it and some of you may not agree with a single word of this. But that's not my problem.........as I said, this is just my opinion. My family is no stranger to addiction. I’ve seen it. I’ve watched it. I’ve been mad and I’ve been sad. It’s very frustrating to witness. Especially when it’s a loved one....and a loved one gone. So before I start rambling, I wanna to say that I’m sending prayers of comfort and healing to Johnny’s family and friends. I haven’t seen him much since high school, just in passing. We didn’t hang with the same crowds. He was a good person and no one will convince me otherwise. BUT, this isn’t really about him. The newspaper says “possible OD”, so I’m not going to assume that’s what it was, but it really got my head spinning. This is to address any person who has EVER uttered (or typed) the words “let the junkies die”-or some variation of it. Not every situation is the same and not every addict got that way by going straight to the “hard drugs”. “They chose to use!”, however, quite frankly, it DOESN’T MATTER. Yes, it started with a choice, but so does an STD.....but that’s something people don’t talk about. Lung disease, COPD--let’s face it, people choose to smoke...you don’t see people saying “Let them die, they chose it!” AND people who’ve never smoked a day in their life have developed it, as well...they DIDN’T choose it. Can you tell the difference between the two? The smoker and the one who just got screwed? NO. My point is, you cannot tell the difference between an addict who became addicted by “partying and having a good time” and the addict who is dependent on pain medication to manage a chronic condition. Or the addict who became dependent on painkillers after a major surgery. Or how about the ones with an undiagnosed mental illness, just trying to numb whatever is going on in their mind....CAN YOU TELL THE DIFFERENCE? NO YOU CAN’T. NO ONE CAN!! So let’s STOP picking and choosing who you think deserves to live and who deserves to die. NONE OF YOU ARE GOD. NONE OF YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO DECIDE WHO IS WORTHY AND WHO IS NOT. WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE!?! Almost daily I see posts on Facebook saying “let them die” and “it’s their own fault” and “who cares about dumb junkies”.....It makes me sad the world I live in. Makes me super sad when I see people I know saying things like this, but when it’s someone THEY KNOW....totally different attitude. Don’t be a hypocrite!! Where people’s first thought is “Let them die” instead of “How did they get this way? How could we have helped them?”....it’s just heartbreaking. Judging them and shaming them makes it worse! Don’t you see?? If enough people tell you something bad about yourself and enough times, you start to believe it. Think about it; if enough people told you that they wanted you to die, you might start thinking maybe you should. Maybe everyone would be better off. NOT ALL people jump to that, though. They need HELP. Not judgement. Granted, if they don’t want help, there’s not much you can do....but guess what? I THINK THEY WANT HELP, SOME JUST DON’T ADMIT TO IT or they just don’t know how to go about it. How about we try the opposite of that logic and see how that works? Tell someone they are worthy and they are loved enough....they’ll start to believe it to! Ha, how easy would it be?? Not a hard thing to do at....be loving and compassionate! It’s infuriating how FOREIGN this concept seems to be!! SOMETIMES ALL IT TAKES IS FOR SOMEONE TO CARE ENOUGH. TO MAKE THEM FEEL THAT THEY ARE WORTHY OF RECOVERY! IT CAN BE DONE! Someone wise once told me “You can’t love them well”. Which is right. You can’t love someone out of a sickness or mental illness. HOWEVER, I feel that if THEY FEEL LOVED, they just might start loving themselves enough to REALLY give it a try. EVERY SOUL ON THIS PLANET DESERVES TO LIVE. Let me repeat that, in case some of you didn’t get it the first time: EVERY SOUL ON THIS PLANET DESERVES TO LIVE!!!! EVERY SINGLE ONE! NO EXCEPTIONS!! We are ALL human. Granted, there are some who deserve to live in prison where they won’t harm another human being, but nonetheless, still deserve to live. The really evil people still deserve to live.......but away from others. NO this is not a debate about the death penalty. Don’t get me wrong, I think child molesters and rapists should have their private parts cut off and burned; but still live. I’m not sure how I feel about the whole “eye for an eye” thing; taking anyone’s life just doesn’t sit right with me; two wrongs don’t make it right...just sayin. I don't believe any of us have the right to decide that about anyone. Self defense is a different story, though. But I digress. Back to my point. No one CHOOSES to be an addict. Some interesting information here: A little outdated, but still informative. http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/29/health/gupta-unintended-consequences/ Anyway, I’m scared. I’m scared for the people struggling. I’m scared for the people I care about. I’m scared for me, as well. Why? Because recently I was diagnosed with a form of arthritis that cannot be cured, only “managed”. From what I’ve read, there’s a chance that it will get very painful. Common treatment: Opioid painkillers. I don’t want to be an addict. I will try anything and everything before I will agree to take those. I think I’d start smoking pot first. BUT what if it DOES get that bad? What if that is my only relief? I don’t believe I have an addictive personality, however, I’m also being treated for depression. I have my meds for that, but this kind of stuff really does scare me. What if I DO get addicted? What if I have one of my “dark days” and decide I don’t care, a whim....a spontaneous f**k it, kind of day and I abuse or misuse the medication to feel better?? I don’t think I would ever intentionally......however, what if? There are too many what ifs.....It’s scary! It can happen to anyone! Love each other people. Love the lost. Love the ones who shy away from it. Most of all, love those who CLAIM they don’t want it....those are the ones who need it the most. Take a long hard look at yourself the next time you think about saying “Let the junkies die”; that’s like walking into a psych ward with suicidal patients and saying “Let them die”. IT’S JUST NOT RIGHT...and some may take it to heart and actually do it. Everyone up in arms about bullying.....what do you think all that talk is?? GROWN ADULTS BULLYING!! JUST FREAKIN STOP IT! It’s a mental ILLNESS....a BRAIN ILLNESS; deny it all you want but addiction has been classified AS A DISEASE. Just because you don’t want to agree, doesn’t mean you’re right!!! I mean, those people went to school for a very long time...I think they know what they are talking about. If you still don't believe, look up the definition of "disease" and "addiction". It’s simple. Put yourself in their shoes......would YOU want to be treated that way? Treat others the way you want to be treated. IT’S THAT SIMPLE!! The golden freakin rule, y’all! You never know when life may take a dramatic turn for YOU. You don’t know everyone’s story. You don’t know everyone’s heart. NEVER assume! Ok, lecture done. However, I want to say something to every addict who may read this: People love you. You are worth saving. You are worth loving. Please get help. Not everyone judges so harshly. We know you don’t want to be this way. We know that you are lost. We know you battle your own brain every single day. You can be strong. You can fight it. Find one reason within your heart....Not your family or friends....we all know sometimes that is not enough motivation. IT HAS TO BE FOR YOU. YOU have to want it. YOU have to decide. Get clean or you will die. Please, don’t die. Be safe. Come back to the world. It misses you. THE REAL YOU. The YOU that you still have time to be. The YOU that you truly want to be. We love you and we want YOU to love you, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment